I wanted the photo to look distressed to go with the background paper, so I used a wire brush and a distressing tool around the edges. And yes, since this picture was taken by a photographer I sat looking at it for a long time before taking a wire brush, and distressing tool to it. I'm not quite sure what I would have done if it didn't turn out well since it was the only copy I had.
The "sand" at the bottom of the frame is torn sandpaper from my husband's tool stash.
The hardest part for me was finding the correct adhesive to hold the non-paper items to the shadow box. I ended up using my glue gun even though I always get glue everywhere, and burn myself. It did the job, and I only burned one finger.
Well, onto my next project. I think I'll use canvas this time. Thanks for visiting!!